1. What is your knowledge of Communism?
My knowledge of what Communism is definitely biased and shaped through the perspective of a country that has been ruled under this regime and from the point of view of my family which weren’t living a good life then. However, some benefited a lot from communism and their families are still enjoying the ‘joys’ of it.
2. From your knowledge of communism do you think your country was better off then or now?
It is better now, though as explained above, my opinion is subject to the ways I was being raised and the situation in which my family has been during the period of Communism. Bulgaria’s views on communism vary. For some the fall of communism was something to celebrate, for others it was a disaster.
3. Do you think going through communism helped your country and if so how? What would you say where the benefits of communism or the communist era compared to now?
No. Maybe it just helped my country to appreciate Democracy.
4. Have you ever spoken to any of the older generation (who experienced communism) and how do they account their experience of communism?
I have yes. My father use to tell me how both him and my mum had to wait in endless queues in order to buy food. There used to be a censorship on the press and the freedom of speech. My dad used to hide with his mates and listen to radio ‘Free Europe’ which was illegal then. (I don’t remember everything my parents used to tell me so I will have to get back to you on this question. I will ask them a few stuff on the topic when I speak with them next and will tell you some more things).
5. Any other information you would like to add on?
What is interesting in regards to Bulgaria and communism is that there is still a communist party which has a very strong support (the ex- president was a representative of the communist party), mainly by older generations. However, there are still young people who support communism (I am not one of them) and who believe in the communist ideology. I don’t think my opinion is representative of Bulgaria’s opinions towards it and it shouldn’t have that much of a weight to your research project.